Tuesday 21 September 2010

The Daily Grind

So, as you may know, I started classes last Monday about 9 hours after I got back from Paris. Which wasn't as bad as it sounds. I am taking 3 classes that equate to about 14 or 15 hours in the US. The Schedule here is crazy I feel like I'm never in the same place or time slot one lecture to the next (it is slightly more ordered than that but not much). And labs are just impossible, it's been sheer luck that I've made it to any.

The Breakdown:

Early Modern Europe- My requisite History-from-a-different-perspective class while studying abroad. So far it's been good, we're sarting with the Renaissance and moving on from there. The doctor that does my lecture group is umm... enthusiastic so that's fun.

Comparative Physiology-My actual useful class of Biology related-ness. It's actually pretty cool (amazing what a Scottish accent can do for a subject)

Environmental Management and Modeling- the first section of which is a geology class with Field trips! Today we went North to Arbroath (which is easier to get your tongue around if you think of it as Arberoath). I took a bunch of pictures that will be up soon (got a Picassa account). There was some fascinating biology going on down by the shore I've never been on a rock beach like it. So i had fun with microscope mode on the balloon seaweeds and snails. I've found that my camera is spectacular for close range shots but all the ones I got of the Scottish countryside were underwhelming... possibly because I had the real thing staring me in the face. But anyway suffice to say this is my favorite class. A fact which has nothing to do with my young professor with an adorable accent who walked in the first day, while I was contemplating our antique lecture hall and wondering just when professor McGonagall was going to walk through the door, and told us he felt like he was guest lecturing at Hogwarts. It's a good class. I spent the first lab discussing the finer points of David Tennant vs Matt Smith as Dr Who with a Scottish girl named Lucy.

So those are my classes and I promised to introduce the people in the flat across the hall. There is Dun Jack from Denmark (both parents from China) who lent my his converter when mine didn't work for my computer and hung out with me while I was waiting for my flatmates to get here. Pia who is German and really sweet.... she made us all rewatch Brave heart the other night because she'd never seen it though (not that I really minded I've been meaning to get an accurate body count for ages). Caroline from France and also very nice, though I would kill her in a heartbeat for her wardrobe (JK she's awesome...maybe the boots...). Addy from Nigeria is pretty awesome but I have only hung out with him one or two nights, but definitely cool (getting back to food he made chicken curry, Dun Jack also made fish and garlic mashed potatoes so he gets creds as well). And Puniit (not sure how to spell it) is thier Indian roomate though I've only really seen him in passing though by all accounts he's a really nice guy.

So that's basic introductions and things out of the way i'll start telling you about my adventures as they occur from now on.

1 comment:

  1. This is so cool to have! I can talk to you about this stuff and also read about it so I don't miss a thing!!
    Love you
    Mom

    ReplyDelete