Wednesday 29 September 2010

Heffalumps and Wormits

So I thought Wormit was just an Elmer Fudd word but it is apparently the name of the bay on the other side of the Tay that I can see from my window. My Geology class went there Tuesday and while the landscape wasn't as striking as the cliffs of Arbroath it was still pretty spectacular, check out the pictures. But before I get into that some random updates:

-Re:my pinky toe. I wasn't so worried that it fell off as that it ruined my pedicure and I have no nail polish remover. Luckily it is now turning a nice deep purple color like the rest of my toes.

-Perth... which I haven't written a post about, I know, and I should because it was awesome. We saw the palace and it was a good thing too because while I was waiting for history lecture to start yesterday BBC news reported that a service van knocked out the ancient gate (clearance issues apparently) that generations of Scottish kings walked through on the way to their coronations. I have a picture of it a week before it fell.

they say they are hoping it can be repaired but doesn't that defeat the purpose of having an ancient gate?

-Sarah loves HIMYM as much as I do! so we now have roomie TV night.

-It has only taken me a week to sniff out the on campus Film society and where their weekly viewings are so "Trainspotting" tonight!

-I should totally be writing essays so be thankful I am entertaining you instead... I could totally be using my procrastination time on Battle Star Galactica (because being in Scotland doesn't mean I'm not still me;)

So yesterday at the bay or Wormit was mildly depressing... the weather was constantly threatening all out downpour (and it's our last field trip before going back to real labs) but I'm all for seeing more of Scotland and I had a chance to scope out a possible, cheap weekend trip for the future... there is a hike to a cool old Abby ruin and like I said it's only across the bridge.

This was a more geologically serious trip so I didn't have time for a ton of pictures (mostly rocks) and my new friends weren't there to shield be from being the crazy person taking pictures of stupid every-day Scottish things. Not that that stopped me, I assure you. My inner Magpie was also unable to resist all the Shiny on the beach (Aunt Sis I blame you for the ingrained instinct to always have my pockets full of shells when walking near water... Mom the rocks are your fault).


But I found a geologically relevant piece of Agate and even learned how they are formed. While lava is cooling bubbles of gas from the eruption slowly rise to the surface so the rock generally cools with bubble holes in it (we all know what lava rock looks like) and the Agate is silica that grows in that space, which is why Agate is usually round.

Geology fact of the day complete.

I think the other side of the river is the good side of the tracks. There were some stunning stonework homes that looked old as the hills with '10 'vettes in the driveway. I was equally enamored of both. Well maybe the houses were a little cooler... they all had these amazing sun rooms. Some were even completely detached from the house so you could see adorable little breakfast nooks just sitting in peoples front yards facing the river.


(Martin has informed me that my blog has too much text, which I have understood as the definition of a blog, so I am attempting to accommodate him by adding pictures ;) 

Sarah, Daniela (our downstairs German neighbor) and i are meeting Danika and Robin in Isle of Sky on Saturday. We are moving Roomie diner night to Thursday and going to a burger joint called ketchup that gives student a 2 for 1 special (Danika and Robin are joining roomie dinner). And Friday night I am going to the Scottish play "The Not-So-Fatal Death of Grandpa Fredo" a semi-true dark comedy. I'm stoked to see Scottish dark comedy, something tells me they'll be brilliant at it.

3 comments:

  1. =) HIMYM fo sho. and that is so strange about the arch!! I feel really cool for having seen it now, actually. I want to go to the other side of the bridge!!! ahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Love the prettys you picked up...sorry I make you pick rocks..:)It could be worse.
    So glad you saw the arch before it fell...what a bummer!
    I can't wait to hear about your dark comedy your going to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trainspotting is on my top 20 list of favorite movies....Ewan McGregor. I had forgotten it was set in Scotland. Hey I can't help I have certain beach compulsions! Good job on the blue beach glass nobody finds that anymore!

    ReplyDelete