Friday 1 October 2010

Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression & Begrudging Acceptance or a Short Study of my Relationship with Fashion in the UK

So let me preface this post with two caveats.

1) I am never to be mistaken with anyone who knows anything about fashion... usually the most you can tell from my outfit choices is how late I managed to sleep in today (sweats and a Tee=about 5 minutes to get dressed, sun-dress = about 7, and any other two piece outfit at least 10)

2) this does not in anyway indicate that I think fashion is better in SC ( i just didn't have a blog to bitch about it then ;). To remedy that, Carolinas Girls... work-out sweats/hotpants with a sorority tee, polka-dot ribbons in you hair and enormous fake pearls around your neck will never be a valid lifestyle choice, so just keep pretending it is.

That felt good. Moving on.

I have begun dressing like a UK girl and offer photographic evidence.




 Granted I'm still rather tame by thier standards but I have decided to fully embrace the culture (mostly because I'm running out of clothes that match and don't want to do laundry... my goal is four loads while I'm here, and I brought 4 tide single use packets). If I were wearing paisley, hounds-tooth or plaid under the jean jacket instead of a skintight black quarter sleeve and a more prominent scarf this outfit might qualify as UK University wear.

I have realized that skintight legwear and scarves really are key.

So to make this work I need to get at least three new pairs of leggings, two pairs of knit tights, and a rugby scarf (luckily I'm still enough of a Michigan girl that I brought a pair of daisy dukes to wear with the tights.... which is also an obligatory outfit here).

End minipost/rant

8 comments:

  1. LOVED the fashion post. My obsession with African fabric lasted approximately one month and now I'm counting down the seconds until I can step into a wonderful, beautiful, American mall and start crying tears of pure joy. My dad better watch out for his credit cards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. next weekend, will complete our UK fashion transformation! muahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, hells to the yea.
    Alyssa, I see Michigan Avenue in our future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alyssa, Ana does all this clothing talk mean we can go to Chicago after Christmas? Yaa! Love Ma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh PLEASE lets go to Chicago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Ana come on now...you always look great, just becasue you may not spend a lot of time planning what to wear doesn't mean you have no fashion!
    Ok now the laundry thing..come on that reflects on me!! Girl you can't do a mounths worth of laundry in one load..hope you don't have any of my clothes!!!
    Where have you been???? hopfully doing home work..:)
    Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ana,
    I hate to say it but any of your none fashion sense most likely comes from my side of our family. Really, keep it simple and what's the bother with too many clothes. Give me my sneakers and high tech wicking comfortable clothes any day!
    PS the spelling thing is also family genetics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are brilliant! You must have heard the US State Dept directive to blend in while in Europe. They specifically recommended not wearing American flag adornments! Too bad you have such nice teeth nobody would be the wiser!!
    Oh! Be sure you are always aware of a second excape route! Hee! Hee! Bloomingdales, Nordstroms, Saks, Ginos and Garretts...here we come Michigan Ave! Jesus I love the USA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am both proud and mind blown that you have written a fashion post. I am pumped about UK/faux hipster with AWESOME hat Ana. However, if at any point you wear leggings without a shirt that sufficiently covers your butt, you will have crossed into the Carolina Girl territory that we know as evidence by the post your feel strongly about. Also, I'm stealing that skirt when you come home. Karis and I are procrastinating together, reading your blog and wishing we could be there with you.

    ReplyDelete