Thursday 7 October 2010

Sunday May Vary: In Which our Hero Finds her Soul-mate

So this is ostensibly the post for Isle of Skye but I have to start of with "The Not-So-Fatal-Death of Grandpa Fredo"It was... I want to say spectacular but I feel like I have spent a majority of my time on the blog in well deserved hyperbole... so I will attempt an unbiased assessment.

It was not entirely what I was expecting, I knew a small Scottish company was putting it on and that it was based on a true story. What I didn't know was that it was based on a story that took place in the States. There was a Scottish police detective (and that is apparently a true part) and the protagonist was Norwegian but the rest were Americans. Which led to some wonerfully hilarious parody. And there were environmental undertones and heartfelt, human grief wrapped up in dorky-folky sidebars into song... it was just really, really good. I almost teared up during the last scene, which is a feat for a slightly silly, semi-musical that knows what it's taking about.

On to Isle of Skye.

I woke up super early (i'm always paranoid I'm going to miss the train) and packed and ate some toast (I'm almost out of extra crunchy, which is tragic I know, so I've been rationing it and eating Nutella instead). Sarah and I were all ready to go but couldn't find Daniela (she lives down stairs). We were there a few minutes after the meet time so we decided to leave in the hope that she was already on her way, because Daniela never oversleeps.

She overslept.

But she ran and caught up so we all got on the train no problems. We had two exchanges so out trip was from Dundee to Perth, Perth to Inverness, and Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh.
I love trains.
A lot.
The first two were great (well there was a big match in Inverness apparently so there were a bunch of Drunk rugby fans at first and we were sitting right next to the bathroom, which was entertaining to say the least) but the one from Inverness to Kyle was Spectacular. It was almost empty, most of the stops were by request only and  the scenery was jaw dropping.... I would have been happy with just the train ride. I didn't take and pictures just sat there and soaked it up.


well maybe I took one...

When we got to Kyle we waited around a bit for a bus and Sarah and Daniela had fish and chips at Hectors Bothy. I had packed a Tomato and Cheese sandwich so i just got tea and stole chips (which I have actually started calling chips... it's not nearly as scary as saying y'all).

We shopped a bit and didn't really find anything then our bus showed up and we set off for Broadford, which is actually on the island. Kyle is just right next to the bridge.

Again, I almost would have just been happy with the bus trip. why does the scenery have to be so damn gorgeous absolutely every where here? ...not that I'm, you know, complaining.

We accidentally timed everything perfectly and Robin and Danika were just getting off their bus from the north of the island when we got there ( the lucky dogs don't have class on Friday so they had a head start and stayed until Tuesday).

After meeting up we wandered down to the visitors center and to check out the (not)town. It was cool though, the sort-of town surrounds a nice harbor and there were lots of cool dilapidated fishing boats on the pier to take pretty pictures of. There was also a little wool store tucked in the corner down by there pier. The kind of place that has piles of raw wool in the backyard and plastic trashcans full of dye and mushy wet wool in the lean-to, in other words it was amazing. You walk in and there are yards (possibly miles) of fresh dyed, spun wool yarn hanging from every possibly wall space and tables piled high with knotted works of art dotting the spaces in-between. I fell in love. Literally.

I have found my soul mate... and it is a knit wool hat.

At first there was absolutely no one in the store so I set my beloved down and said I would think about the price (no we shall not speak of it, their is no price on true love) while we went down to the pier. When we came back Robin had decided on a spectacular pair of Orange and techno socks. There was still no one there. So she hollers and finally gets this guy who says he was making dinner...and no in his shop two hours before it closed. Whatever he let me wear the hat out so I was appeased. I still had a moment of hesitation but Robin told me in so many words that I was being stupid and the green went with my eyes so get the damn hat.

I did. And hipster Ana was born.




Then we unpacked in the Hostel, Sarah, Daniela and I had a room to ourselves. And then took a short walk/hike up into the surrounding countryside until it started to get dark. During which robin and I somehow discovered we had both read Brian Jacques growing up so we totally had to have like a two hour conversation on that...everyone else walked ahead for a bit.
So anyway we turned around and stopped at a grocery store for breakfast and asked the lady where to eat "oh aye theres Claymore's a wee bit down'thy rood that'away"

4 miles later (not really I suppose but it felt like it)

So we sat in Claymore's the rest of the night eating fish and chips and drinking some dark ale they brew on the island. The onion rings were terrible though, Danika and I had been craving them so we tried. They were like circles of onion flavor paste dropped in the fryer. We even got dessert. Which I never do. Robin and I shared something traditional and Scottish that was like heavy meringue with raspberries and whiskey in the sauce ('cause it's Scottish). It was...different. Good but it felt like a topping rather than a dessert in itself...it was perfect when we dumped the rest of Sarah's Black Forest cake on top ;)



Then it started raining so we ordered another round to wait it out.

Which *actually* worked, good to know, so we trooped back to the hostel and sacked out. And  If I have my timelines correct I believe at about this time in Anderson South Carolina a certain Scott Ross Barber was attempting to trick his wife into watching the movie "Hostel"

We know this didn't actually end up happening because a UN task force was not dispatched to collect me.

Next Morning we headed back to the docks in kyle to grab a glass bottom boat tour. it wasn't one of the lame ones where the boat is just kind of flattish at the bottom and has a pane of glass you actually went down into the hold and looked out the glass walls. it was like a reverse aquarium. Our Captain was very knowledgeable on local wildlife (he chased down some river otters for us) and history, so it was a great tour. And there was only one other coupe besides us so we pretty much had it to ourselves.



We only had a few more hours until Sarah, Daniela and I had to catch the train but we made the most of them....I got Sarah's wedding present for one. We tried to go to the giftshop/rail museum at the station but this greeted us. I laughed too hard to be irritated and it was open once our train came in. At least they were being honest.



Train ride back to Inverness was awesome we had 8 seats for the tree of us it was so empty and just spread out and relaxed, napped, had some cider, took in the scenery. So relaxing.



 After Inverness it was less fun. Crowded trains in the dark are boring and uncomfortable but we made it home happy so it all turned out ok.

So that was my weekend

6 comments:

  1. Happy to know you had a guide who could expound on something besides the "crazy traffic"!!! The hat is awesome and I am very jealous about the very delicious looking brew on your table! You have a much more discerning palate than your cousin the Busch Lite King

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ana, The hat looks great. Are you wearing it to Stockholm? That way dad could find you in the crowd. Keeps us posted. Love Ma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks and sounds like another wonderful adventure for Nene!! I love the hat...opps soulmate..:)
    Drinking another beer instead of walking in the rain was a super idea. It is always good to have an exuse for another one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guess I should proof read before I send...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let's get drunk and eat ourselves sick on onion rings over Christmas! Yay! I know that you have good beer, but I have neither. I also like how you wrote a wonderful and long post and my comment is about onion rings. I've lived in Africa WAY too long!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would also like to comment on my mother's post/ backup my brother: Busch Light is delicious.

    ReplyDelete